Saturday, December 12, 2009

Buttermilk (custard) Pie

When I started dating my husband Todd and we were getting to know one another and sharing our likes and dislikes,he told me his favorite pie in the whole world was buttermilk! Now, I love pie....in fact I will chose pie over cake any day! But I never heard of buttermilk pie and frankly it sounded disgusting! On our first Christmas married he asked me to make one! I found this recipe on the net and set out to make it just for him,with no intentions on trying a bite! Well, after it was cooking in the oven, it started to fill the house with the most amazing sweet aroma! My mouth was watering,but I wasn't going to admit that it smelled like heaven!! So after I pulled it out and let it cool,I cut a piece for him....then he informed me he likes his the next day, ice cold from the fridge! What to do?? So I told him ,just to try it to see if I made it right....he loved it! So,I gave in... cause' it really smelled so good! I loved it! Now fast forward to 8 years later and I make it every year....sometimes for Thanksgiving and Christmas! I have come to love this recipe and it's super easy too! If you think it sounds gross.....just call it custard pie instead....that's what it reminds me of anyways! Enjoy and thanks for stopping by....please leave me a comment if you make it and let me know how you liked it! Have a great weekend!


Buttermilk (Custard) Pie:

  • 1/2 cup butter (softened....I put mine in the microwave for a little ....just til' it starts to melt)
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 tsp. flour
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • about 1 tsp. of nutmeg ( my jar has holes in it....so I just use that to sprinkle!)
  • 1 deep dish pie shell


Preheat oven to 350.
In a large bowl,cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients together and mix well. Pour into unbaked pie shell and then sprinkle the top with nutmeg! Bake for about an hour or until top is golden brown. Let cool for about an hour before slicing if you like it warm,or you can wrap with foil and put in fridge for the next day! Serve with full glass of milk! Enjoy!!

No comments: